Top speakers at world volunteer conference
The sunny Gold Coast will welcome 1,000 volunteer leaders from over 40 countries across the world for the 23rd IAVE World Volunteer Conference next week. The event organised under the patronage of His Royal Highness Prince Charles, Prince of Wales will focus on current models of volunteering as well as future trends under its theme, Volunteering – Today’s Imperative.
“It is critical that we keep working both nationally as well as globally to strengthen, promote and advance volunteering. We have put together a fantastic line up of speakers from around the world to help us work toward this goal,” said IAVE’s World President-Elect, Kylee Bates, who will coincidently be only the second Australian to take on this role next month.
Consisting of two separate conferences, the IAVE World Youth Conference will be held from 15th to 17th and the 23rd IAVE World Volunteer Conference will be held from 17th to 20th of September. It will feature both international as well as local speakers and panellists from government, academia, corporate and not for profits. The Governor-General, Sir Peter Cosgrove and Lady Cosgrove will be guests of honour at the conference gala dinner.
“It is amazing to see that although we may be divided geographically and come from a diversity of cultures and traditions, we are united in our belief in the power of volunteering and the positive impact it has in each of our societies,” said the CEO of Volunteering Australia, Brett Williamson, OAM. Some of the conference keynote speakers include:
- Richard Dictus, Executive Coordinator, United Nations Volunteers
- The Hon. Michael Kirby AC. CMG
- Dr. Kang-Hyun Lee, World President, IAVE
- Jody Broun, Executive Director NSW, Australian Red Cross
Other highlights include:
- Jenny Brockie, host of SBS TV’s Insight will facilitate a lively and thought provoking plenary panel on, “Considering Volunteering and Building Engaged Communities for the Future”.
- Ralph Devlin QC, Deputy President of Surf Life Saving Australia will emcee the event.
- Max Mansell, will be the resident artist for the conference and will over the course of the event produce an interactive art piece that reflects the spirit of the conference.
For full conference details see www.iave2014.org