Volunteers Give a little. Change a lot.
- An estimated total of 932 million hours was volunteered during 2016.
- The rates of volunteering are highest among males aged 45-54 years at 302,612 people.
- The rates of volunteering are highest among women aged 35-44 at 399,889 people.
- Overall, the rates of volunteering are highest in the 45-54 year age group at 679,602 people.
- Business volunteering in the workplace is increasing, with 63% of large companies having a workplace volunteering program, 30% of mid-sized businesses, and 6% of small business.
- Almost 90% of large businesses reported allocating more resources to volunteering, compared to 10 years ago, and wanted to see more of their workforce participate in workplace volunteering.
- Almost three-quarters of large businesses or 72%, indicated they encouraged employee giving by allocating paid time for volunteering.
- Those who volunteered (87.4%) also engaged in charitable donation.
- Research demonstrates that volunteering yields a 450% return for every dollar invested. Nationally, this is an estimated annual contribution of $290 billion.
- Volunteering activities present identifiable benefits to the community, with formal volunteering contributing an estimated 743 million hours to the Australian economy in 2014.
- Volunteering Australia’s State of Volunteering in Australia report found that 46% of people have undertaken informal volunteering, predominantly by taking care of someone in the community.
- 77% of informal volunteers were encouraged to informally volunteer to support those in their community.
- Volunteers are inspired to be involved in volunteering as it allows them to give something back to the community.
- Volunteers are motivated to volunteer by a personal belief in a cause or issue.
- Volunteers are driven to volunteer to make a difference.
- The State of Volunteering in Australia Report found that 93% of people saw positive changes as a result of their volunteering efforts.
Volunteering Australia (2016), State of Volunteering in Australia, https://www.volunteeringaustralia.org/research/stateofvolunteering/
Giving Australia 2016, Individual Giving and Volunteering report, https://www.communitybusinesspartnership.gov.au/about/research-projects/giving-australia-2016/
Giving Australia 2016, Business Giving and Volunteering, https://www.communitybusinesspartnership.gov.au/about/research-projects/giving-australia-2016/
Census (2016), Australian Bureau of Statistics, http://www.abs.gov.au/