Established in 1989, National Volunteer Week is the premier celebration of volunteers and volunteerism in
Australia, and provides an opportunity to highlight the role of volunteers in our community and to say thank you to the millions of Australians who volunteer.
The information and key messages below are available for everyone to use leading up to and during National Volunteer Week. We encourage all volunteer involving organisations, governments, researchers, corporates, and other enabling organisations, to proudly promote the upcoming celebrations to help increase the awareness of the vital role volunteers play in our lives.
General – Key Messages
- National Volunteer Week (15th – 21st May) is Australia’s largest annual celebration of volunteering.
- This special event recognises the crucial role of volunteers in supporting our nation and encourages people to start volunteering.
- National Volunteer Week 2023 is a celebration of the millions of volunteers across Australia giving their time and energy to make change in our communities.
- This year’s National Volunteer Week theme is ‘The Change Makers’, highlighting the powerful impact volunteers make supporting individuals, communities and the nation.
- Volunteering has the power to change the lives of both volunteers and those they help. It offers opportunities for social, economic, and cultural inclusion, and improves our health and wellbeing.
- We invite everyone to become a Change Maker by helping to increase awareness of the vital role volunteers play in our lives this National Volunteer Week.
- Let’s join together and celebrate the incredible Change Makers who are making a difference in our communities every day.
This year’s theme: The Change Makers
This National Volunteer Week, ‘The Change Makers’ theme will explore the breadth, diversity and richness of volunteering activity in our communities.
What is a Change Maker?
A Change Maker is someone who takes action to make the world a better place.
Change Makers are:
- The driving force behind social change
- Turning their passions into purpose
- Giving their time to make a difference
Volunteers are Change Makers!
We are the Change Makers – Key Messages
- The ‘We are the Change Makers’ social media campaign celebrates the powerful impact volunteers make supporting individuals, communities and the nation.
- Change Makers are diverse in their roles and areas of expertise. You may be a Caregiver, Guardian, Energiser, Defender, Inquirer, Communicator, a combination of these, or a different sort of Change Maker altogether!
- Help inspire new volunteers to join us on our journey to a future where volunteering is at the heart of Australian communities.
- This National Volunteer Week we are asking, what kind of Change Maker are you? Share your Change Maker type on social media by using the campaign’s resources.
- Celebrate the power of volunteering and show the world that volunteers are Change Makers.
- MEDIA RELEASE: Australia’s Invisible Workforce: The Crucial Role of Volunteers in Supporting our Nation
- FACT SHEET: Volunteering in Australia – Volunteering Experiences by Sector
- FACT SHEET: Volunteering Key Statistics – February 2022
- RESEARCH: Volunteering in Australia 2022
- RESEARCH: The Story Project
- The National Strategy for Volunteering 2023-2033